Log in | Create account


PCN enforcement stages 

This page provides a brief explanation about the different stages involved in the enforcement process Penalty Charge Notice.

Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) 

A PCN is a legal document issued/served when a vehicle has been seen in contravention of parking/traffic restriction. It is served either directly to the vehicle (or to the person who appear to be the driver) at the time of the contravention or through the post, notifying the registered keeper that the vehicle has been observed contravening parking restriction or traffic restriction.

Charge Certificate 

If the penalty remains unpaid more than 28 days from the date of service of a postal PCN, Notice to Owner or Enforcement Notice, a Charge Certificate is sent by post which increases the charge by 50% of the original amount, giving 14 days for payment to be made.

Once a Charge Certificate is issued you can no longer make a Representation. If you were not aware of the contravention prior to receiving the Charge Certificate, or if you have received no reply to a Representation or an Appeal, you will have to wait to make a Statutory Declaration / Witness Statement (see below).

Order for Recovery 

If the registered owner of the vehicle does not respond to the Charge Certificate within 14 days, the local authority may register the debt at the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC), and an Order for Recovery will be served.  The Order for Recovery includes information on making a Statutory Declaration / Witnesss Statement, and you can contact the TEC on 0300 123 1059 if you have an enquiry about this stage of the process.

At this point, the outstanding amount on the PCN will increase by £7.00 which is a surcharge of the cost of registering the order. You have 21 days from the date of service to pay the outstanding amount on the Order for Recovery.

Warrant of Control 

If the penalty charge has not been paid within 21 days of the Order for Recovery being served, the Council will ask for a Warrant of Control. Once granted, it will be passed to our certified enforcement agent to recover the amount owed.

Please note that a certified enforcement agent is allowed to charge recovery fees for every letter, visit and action taken as part of the effort to recover the outstanding amount.