Private Members' clubs require a Club Premises Certificate for regulated activities under the Licensing Act 2003.
These regulated activities include:
- The sale by retail of alcohol
- The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the club
- The provision of late night refreshment
- The provision of regulated entertainment, which include:
- A performance of a play
- An exhibition of a film
- An indoor sporting event
- A boxing or wrestling entertainment (indoor and outdoor)
- A performance of live music
- Any playing of recorded music
- A performance of dance
- Entertainment of a similar description to that falling within the performance of live music, the playing of recorded music and the performance of dance
If a private members club wishes to extend its licensable hours it can apply to the Licensing Authority (the council) for either a variation of their premises licence or a Temporary Event Notice.