Students who can get Housing Benefit
Most students are not liable for council tax and so do not qualify for Council Tax Support. Single students must be in one of the groups below to be eligible for Housing Benefit.
Where both members of a couple are students, the person making the claim for the couple must be in one of the groups below to be eligible for Housing Benefit.
Where only one member of a couple is a student, the non-student should normally make the claim for the couple.
List of students who can claim
- Students on Income Support, Income-based Job seeker's Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Students who count as part-time rather than full-time
- Students under 19 not in higher education
- Students under 20 following a course of further education
- Students aged 60 or more, or partners of students aged 60 or more
- Students who are lone parents and responsible for a child or young person (aged 16-19)
- Couples where both are students and responsible for a child or young person (aged 16 -19)
- Students who are responsible for a foster child
- Students unable to get a grant or loan following a break in their studies
- Students who receive Disability Living Allowance (at any rate, either component)
- Student who receive the disability element or severe disability element in their working tax credit
- Students who for any other reason qualify for a disability premium in the assessment of their applicable amount (this is the amount government states you need to live on, used when working out Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support)
- Students who receive Incapacity Benefit at the at the short-term higher rate or the long-term rate
- Students who are incapable of work and have been for a 'waiting period' of 28 weeks
- Students who have, or who are treated as having, limited capability for work under the Employment and Support Allowance rules
- Student who are registered blind by Adult and Community Services, or were within the past 28 weeks
- Students who have a UK grant assessment which includes an allowance for deafness (even if they are not awarded a grant)
This list is an indication of which students are eligible for benefit. If you would like more information please contact us.